Thursday, July 9, 2015


Crowned Hornbill, Tockus monteiri
     This bird species frequents my site usually in small flocks. They are large birds and beautiful in flight. When I hear their calls I run outside and watch them fly around in the tree tops.


Crowned Hornbill



     While riding my bike deep in the bush I came across this abandoned site. Reasons for abandonment could be a death of a family member or relocated closer to crop fields. Notice the termite mound in between the structures.




     Children visiting me. I have a bike pump so when children bring their bikes to have their tires filled they call out, "Pumpy!" 
English words that don't have a 'y' at the end, they add a 'y'. If an English word ends with a 'y' they omit it. Therefore, my name in my village is Gin.











     How some farmers continue growing vegetables during dry season with no rain for 6 months out of the year. There has to be a river nearby for irrigation. This farmer is one of the best in the village. Polio has left him unable to walk properly, but he and his wife farm acres together regardless. All of this work is done without machines. He amazes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment